Member Video: Slope Side Chats: Independent Contractor vs Employee - 11 minutes
All of these women have operated very successful salons and businesses, and some still do. With experience, comes wisdom. All three agree 100% on how to build a team. The most successful salons play within the rules of the IRS. Although it is tempting at times to think about using independent contractors, in the long run (and for the short term), none of them think it is the best way to build the business. In this short session, they share with you what experience has taught them.
In this video you will learn:
- Where to find the IRS rules for employees versus independent contractors.
- Why no one wins with independent operators.
- The percentage employers need to pay into the federal government for taxes.
- Some options for when you don’t want to deal with the details.
- The #1 thing both salon owners and perspective employees need to know about a salon.
Experts in this Video
Teri is a thirty-five year-plus veteran of the pet styling industry, previously owning and operating a large and successful South Florida salon for twenty-seven years.
Melissa Verplank is a Certified Master Stylist and long time business owner.
A salon owner since 1983, Kathy Rose has garnered recognition in the pet industry both as an expert stylist and educator.