Member Video: Hand-Stripping the Irish Terrier (1 of 2-Part Series) → Part 2 of 2: Hand-Stripping the Irish Terrier - 34 minutes
The Irish Terrier is one of the oldest Terrier breeds. He is an all purpose dog, a loyal protector of the family, as well as an all-around farm dog or hunting companion. This breed is unique in its outline compared to others in his group. In this lesson, Lisa Leady grooms a retired show dog. She shows you the basic elements of hand stripping combined with proper breed profile trimming.
Part 2: Lisa Leady continues to groom the Irish Terrier to breed profile. This dog has not been groomed in quite a while. The long coat prompts Lisa to talk about what it DOES take to get a dog back into condition. In the second half, she works on creating the ‘brick shaped’ head, so classic of many of the long legged Terriers.
In this video you will learn:
- What it takes to get a coat back into condition after it’s been clipped.
- Products you can use to help get a grip on the coat as you pluck.
- How to set the goatee line on the lower jaw.
- How to shape the eyebrows.
- How to avoid a potential problem if a pregnant dog gets stressed.
Experts in this Video
Lisa Leady is a third generation pet stylist with 35 years of experience.