Member Video: Grooming the English Cocker in a Show Style Type Trim - 52 minutes
The English Cocker is a sporting dog that was bred to work in the field. In this lesson, Karen shows you how to accentuate their athletic attributes. She uses carding, hand stripping, and thinning shears to groom this dog. As Karen says, ‘When you have fur, you can create optical illusions.’ This dog has nice structure but has some less than ideal features, too. Throughout the entire lesson, she shows you how to pull out the best points of the dog while camouflaging faults. She molds the coat to create the proper illusion of a well-built dog. This is a great lesson for anyone looking to start hand stripping a sporting dog coat or who wants to learn how to correctly groom an English Cocker.
In this video you will learn:
- What clipping technique to use to get a nice soft look on the muzzle.
- Knowing the right time to stop carding and stripping and move on to thinning shear work.
- How to trim the feathering on the front legs.
- How to trim the hock so it flows into the rest of the furnishings.
- How to create the correct head style for the English Cocker.
Experts in this Video
Karen Tucker, NCMG (National Certified Master Groomer) was the #1 ranked stylists in the country in 2006 with GroomTeam USA. She has been in the Top 10 ranked stylists in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 with GroomTeam USA.