Grooming the Lakeland Terrier (Part 1 of 5)
To watch the full video, either Login or Explore Membership today!
Handstripping is one of the oldest grooming techniques. However, it’s not nearly as prevalent as it once was. Today, it can be confusing. Difficult to do correctly. And frustrating for both the pet and client who expect immediate perfection.
Joshua Morales is an enthusiastic Learn2GroomDogs viewer. He refined many of his grooming skills by watching countless videos from the library. Today, he’s proud to be an accomplished pet stylist, helping other achieve their grooming goals.
In this lesson, Josh demonstrates how to groom a handstripped Lakeland Terrier. This dog is routinely handstripped. He is accustomed to the process.
Throughout the entire lesson, Josh discusses the basic principles of the handstripping technique. He shows you what tools he likes to use and how to use them. He also talks about setting the classic long-legged terrier pattern. As he grooms, he shares plenty of great tips on how to make setting the pattern easy. He includes many visual illustrations to which make it easy to understand the look or shape he is going for. Plus, he shows you how to make mistakes in the coat disappear!
In this video you will learn:
- Basic tools and techniques to get started with handstripping
- What is the essence of the Lakeland Terrier
- What is the hardest concept to grasp when doing a handstripped groom
- How to talk with owners who want their dog handstripped
- Visual reference clues helping you establish the look or shape of an area quickly and easily
Approximate total running time: 1 hour 38 minutes
- Part 1: Tools, Stripping Techniques and Jacket Area (20:29)
- Part 2: Overall Look of the Breed (10:05)
- Part 3: Handstripping, Underside, Neck and Throat (13:22)
- Part 4: Placement of Tuck-Up, Rule of 1/3, Shape of the Legs and Styling the Tail (25:32)
- Part 5: Styling the Head and Final Detail Finish (29:11)
Joshua Morales is a veteran in the world of all-breed dog grooming. A graduate of the Merryfield School of Pet Grooming in 2009, he is also a Nationally Certified Master Groomer through the National Dog Groomers Association of America and a Certified member of the International Society of Canine Cosmetologists.
Joshua has helped hundreds of aspiring pet groomers across the globe through hosting, conducting, and organizing seminars nationwide and abroad. His proven methods, determination, and hard work earned the Barkleigh Honors Award for the “2017 Up and Coming Groomer of The Year.”
- Pet Styling Instructor for the Institute of Technical Arts in Orlando, Florida
- Pet Styling Instructor for the Merryfield School of Grooming in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- National Certified Master Dog Groomer from the National Dog Groomers Association of America (NDGAA)
- 2 time Nationally Ranked Pet Styling Competitor
- Current student of the International Society of Canine Cosmetologists (ISCC)
- Canine Massage Therapist from Abundant Life Massage
- President of Ligato USA
- Founder and President of Grooming Team of Puerto Rico
- Founder and President of The Dog Beautician Company
- Co-Owner of Päsh "The Canine Boudoir"