Hand Stripping a Harsh Coated Dog
To watch the full video, either Login or Explore Membership today!
Runtime:59 minutes, 17 seconds
Hand stripping is the ancient technique of keeping harsh coats in peak condition to protect the dogs skin as it does the job it was meant to do. It is the correct way to groom many breeds in order to promote vibrant color and a harsh, crisp texture to the coat. Hand stripping was developed by the people who actually used dogs for their original purpose as the animals went to ground to hunt vermin, or worked game out in the fields and thick underbrush. It was utilized long before the age of modern electric clippers or razor-sharp shears, which ultimately destroy both the correct color and texture of the coat.
In this video, we introduce you to the basic tools and techniques of hand stripping.
This video will help you learn how to:
- Work with different tools and products based on coat type
- Promote a healthy skin and coat through hand stripping
- Remove dead coat by using the hand stripping process and gentle techniques
- Apply hand stripping to a wide variety of breeds
- Combine hand stripping techniques with clipper cutting in order to facilitate speed and insure the comfort of the pet
Jennifer Heckler has over 14 years of experience in the pet grooming field. She is a Certified Master Groomer, an award-winning contest stylist, a lead trainer and active pet stylist, and a high-level competitor in French Ring Sport. Ms. Heckler is active in the AKC conformation show ring and has the USA #1 Dandi Dinmont Terrier in 2010. Her specialties include hand stripping, breed profile trimming, speed, efficiency, and mobile grooming.